Monday, June 5, 2017

FOUR-DAY DIARY


 

One morning I thought how secure it would make me feel to just sit down and let the world go by. My knee wouldn’t hurt, my ankle wouldn’t hurt with a shoe over the top where it has been broken twice, no painful plantar fasciitis as I walk. I wouldn’t need to worry about traffic, falling up or down steps, knowing people were staring to watch my dog work, myself speaking to someone who was on their phone, or doing something weird like wearing Christmas tree earrings for Easter, which I unknowingly did this year.

Aside from all that, how do you train a helper in the store not to keep handing you dresses and/or anything else you don’t like instead of taking you to your size and disappearing until you call them or end up at the register.

It would be cool to walk to the side of a pool knowing those already in the water were not holding their breath. Frankly sometimes I’m holding my breath too just in case they are right and I plunge right on in.

Yes, I could just be a little old grandma sitting on my front porch with my dog staring at the neighborhood. Don’t feel bad, I do that quite often, and especially with coffee and I enjoy very much being the little old grandma on the front porch.

This particular morning Vivi and I had our front porch solitude in the middle of the active neighborhood. She had her usual walk and I let her stop for just a few sniffs along the way.

So far this week the following incidences have occurred:

ON Monday The lady at the Dress Barn told me I needed a 2X in that blouse instead of just a large. I am glad she was not around when I found out she was correct. It was just the way the thing was made, right?

Fashion aside, I ordered lunch at Chick-fil-A and asked the lady to please help me find a table. That worked fine until the lady figured I couldn’t open my lunch boxes either.

Tuesday I went to the gym and as Vivi and I started toward the door to leave two young people were exercising on the carpet close to the machine I had just vacated. Vivi stopped and gave them a thorough licking since she figured they were in her territory.

Wednesday I went back to the mall to return the blouse.

I went into the shoe store and told Vivi to find a chair. She did and I sat down on a lady’s purse. My fault; I forgot to examine the chair first.

We passed some very young children while walking in the mall and one of them put a piece of candy in Vivi’s mouth. Before I could think I grabbed Vivi and stuck my hand in her mouth, then threw the candy across the mall.

 

And then?

While at the mall I went to the Hallmark Store and a lady offered to read the cards I needed for me. She laughed as much as I did as she read the funny ones.

I went into Pay Less shoe store just looking for some water shoes. That time the young lady and I were enjoying finding cute shoes in a size 3, laughing about the piece of candy when she accidentally knocked down an entire row of shoes from top to bottom. We were both laughing as I tried to help her pick them up and was putting red ones and green ones in the same box. I did find some cheap water shoes which work great, and at least my feet don’t need a 2X.

As I ate my lunch someone from my church from years back sat down and we had a nice visit.

 

It’s Still this week … Thursday.  I went to a gym for the first time. The lady was concerned about me going into the swimming pool, and frankly it being the first time so was I. However, Vivi laid down beside the pool right where I told her too and never moved until I came back to the place I left her. It was a great experience for both the lady, Kay, and me.

 

Now, why have I written this TLDR blog? If you don’t know what TLDR means just ask Siri. In summary, this blog means that experiencing the best things in life outweighs all the seemingly inconvenient ones. My ankle and knee don’t seem to hurt when I’m laughing. Seeing Vivi working at a mall or on a walk makes people smile. Someone wanting to open a box for a blind lady makes them feel like they have done something for someone else. Having a dog that knows what “find a chair” means is a super dog. Throwing candy across the mall turned out to be a teaching moment for a little one who will probably never stick something in a dog’s mouth again. Watching a dog lie quietly for 45 minutes while her owner swims inspired a doubting lady who couldn’t stop praising her.

 

I am grandma. I love my rocking chair, but even more I love life and maybe I just helped someone open their lunch box.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment