Monday, April 28, 2014

A Walk with Vivi


Surely it would be easy to get a good video of Vivi working?  I didn’t realize at the time how many things can interrupt, from the sudden presence of a car between us and the camera, to Vivi’s curiosity at a new smell on our route, to her interest in the videographer.  Trying to get one inside is even harder, so this thought was abandoned as I thought of how many people would stop and smile, to which Vivi would smile back.  She’s a real show stopper no matter where we go.   This means I have to work hard to smile when I say something like:  “I would really appreciate it if you didn’t pet her, but thanks for wanting to,” or “thanks so much for not petting her,” to “I’m gonna have her bite you if you don’t stop it.”  Of course I have never said the latter, but have only wanted to when children with lollipops and sticky fingers pop out of the woodwork like a swarm of yellow jackets all over her.  Mostly however it is always a pleasant experience whether walking with her outdoors or in the malls or restaurants.  Without her harness Vivi gets lots of petting. 

I do hope this video will give you a little idea of what it is like to walk just a little space with a guide dog.







                                 



No comments:

Post a Comment