Monday, April 21, 2014

Vivi's House


Traveling with a guide dog can be an interesting experience in so many instances.  Once while leaving the grocery store with my black lab, Mego, I lovingly said:  “Come on Sweetie,” to which a shopper passing me answered:  “Okay Honey, where are we going?”   Once when at Chic Filet with my first guide dog golden retriever, I said “Holly, find a seat.”   With my tray in hand, Holly proceeded to find me a seat.  I was surprised when a person across the table from me said:  “How are you today?”  Vivi, my new current guide dog, has her own experiences to make, and so far it is hard to keep people from resisting petting her pretty head, especially since she surely is smiling at the world as she works.  However, some experiences can be a little awkward.  Just last week I was with a friend.  We walked into a facility, going up some steps to the door.  I was not quite inside when the receptionist said:  “You cannot bring that dog in here.”   Vivi and I did not miss a beat but kept going forward as I explained she was a service animal and definitely could come in.  The lady suddenly became very adamant as she seemed to stand behind her chair as if to physically push us out the door saying that no way were we coming into the office.  This is the first time I have had to remind someone of the laws in quite a while. 

The most interesting phenomenon I have come across lately is someone thinking the dog never gets to play, and to work her is cruel.  I guess that’s animal rights in reverse, as Vivi goes places other dogs just dream about.  Without her harness, Vivi is just a dog, a very well-mannered girl, yet a playful, clothes snatching, food stealing, ground sniffing well-bred Labrador.  Watch her playing with my granddaughter’s dog Luna.  






     

No comments:

Post a Comment