Thursday, March 13, 2014

One Step Back




I do not wish to bombard anyone with superfluous information, yet this time I am going to do it anyway. Simply so that you can truly  accept my blog for the reasons I am presenting one, especially since blindness will truly be explored in real time situations in life. 

 
I am aware that there is much literature available about the world of the blind.  I have looked up statistics on the internet revealing that according to the National Federation for the Blind there are about 1.3 million people in the U.S. who are legally blind, and  it is estimated that as many as 10 million Americans are blind or visually impaired. 
 
Sometimes it seems as though there are as many perceptions about blindness as there are people who are blind, yet we all seem to come together in certain areas of understanding.  These uniting factors cause many things such as Braille, canes, computers with screen readers, guide dogs, and even smart phones with special programs to come into being.  There are organizations which work to change laws to help the blind and disabled everywhere, and others which educate, enlighten, provide transportation, recreation, and environmental mobility. 

 

With  this vast number of people, you may feel like mine is just some kind of voice crying out in the wilderness.  However, neither am I crying, nor do I consider blindness a wilderness.  I do, however, highly esteem people such as President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Ludwig Beethoven, and Helen Keller as well as many others who have overcome much adversity and contributed greatly to society.  These people have inspired many. 

 

My hope is to perhaps inspire a few, to ease others into a place of understanding, but mostly perhaps,  help even one person find a reason to keep on walking.  I am not super anything, but I have learned not to take myself too seriously, to laugh when the little boy down the street says:  “You can’t see so purdy good can you?” or when I speak to someone who is actually talking on a cell phone.     

No comments:

Post a Comment