Monday, June 16, 2014

How it is Done

I have been writing this blog for three months now.  It is my hope that blindness does not define who I am, rather, that in many ways I have defined what it is.  It is impossible to just leave it out, because it is always there.  However, I do hope you have been introduced to me in lots of other aspects of life.  If you have followed my writing, you may know that I love God, my family including my guide dogs, friends, music, books, children, vacations, swimming pools, exercising, walking, people, my iPhone, learning, and pizza. 
 

It is also my hope that in the reasonably near future to publish a historical manuscript concerning my years between 1950 and 1963 at the North Carolina State School for the Blind and Deaf in Raleigh, North Carolina, now better known as the Governor Morehead School. One reason I started a blog was to gain traction for my book. I can familiarize readers with myself and my writing through my blog and hopefully continue to broaden my audience. Thank you to everyone who is reading, following, sharing, liking, and commenting on my blog posts!

In the meantime, I just want to say a few words about publishing a blog as a blind person using a computer and screen reader.  It would be self-serving to let you think I’m smart enough to do it all by myself.  Some blind people probably can.  As I go and grow in this area, a lady, who I feel I can now refer to as “friend”, has allowed herself to step this far into my life and the world of the screen reader.  To put pictures and songs on the blog is not yet all that easy for me; so she fills in that gap.  Often I put a story out there only to realize the spacing is different due to site specifications.  I am expecting in the very near future to be able to post my own music, maybe pictures, and preview to correct the spacing.  Any blind people out there who want to offer constructive help with screen reader commands, of which I am not yet familiar, please do so. Until then, I would like you all to meet Jennifer Raven, an excellent helper who teaches even as she learns herself and quickly understands where I would like to put what.  The blog words, stories, pictures and music are my own, but the beautiful appearances and placement of graphics and/or videos and music are her artistic gift. 


 

Hello! My name is Jen and I have been working with Myra on the startup of her blog. I can say it is an absolute pleasure working with and learning from Myra when we get together. Myra emailed me back in February after getting my contact info from acquaintances of friends; I had just finished helping another Raleigh lady self-publish a book. I phoned Myra back and we chatted about her email that described her wanting to start a blog and also about publishing her book at some point. She invited me to meet at her house and get started but I had to get back to her about a day and time. The next thing I said was, “Should I email you about a time? Can you email?”  Myra said she used a screen reader and that emailing, or texting and calling were all good ways of communicating. I don’t think that I assumed blind people couldn’t use certain technologies; she did email me initially after all! Truthfully, I had just never really thought about it. Myra’s poetic writing style and well-timed wit have inspired me to think about it more. Not just blindness, but life in general.

We have had to do a lot of thinking, and problem solving, while working on her blog. I came into the situation with some computer savvy advice… And then I met Jabber Jaws. That’s Myra’s affectionate nickname for JAWS, the screen reader that allows her to navigate and command her laptop. When adding things to the blog, I first familiarize myself on how to use a specific website (like SoundCloud which is used to upload and embed her songs on her blog). Then, together we steer through then websites. There are always quirks because everything varies when you’re scrolling through using JAWS keyboard commands versus seeing a mouse icon and directing it across the screen. I listen to everything the computer says so I can recognize and assist in both of us understanding the workflow. That being said, Myra reads, types, scrolls, and has JAWS set to speak VERY fast. Myra also has great patience, especially when I say, “Um, let me figure out what’s going on.”   

I feel very fortunate and have enjoyed every moment of both teaching and learning that has come from starting a blog and a friendship. I can’t wait for things to continue to unfold for Myra. Please keep following and sharing her blog!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment